Sunday, January 28, 2007

Onions

Okay, I gave in and watched Rome with NB... It's a little violent for me but it's not bad. I wikipedia'd every character so now I know how they all meet their fate. That was stupid I realize now but I'm not big on surprises.

This weekend flew by. Friday at my Mom's and Saturday with NB's mom's. Actually, that was probably the most interesting part of the whole weekend.

NB's Mom, will call her Ada, still has a friend from when she was a little girl. "Doris" has been having an "Onion Party" the last 30 years. What's an onion party? Apparently, it's when Doris and her partner make onion soup and have all their friends over. Did you notice I said partner?

Yes, Ada lo' and behold has a lesbian friend. It's never been talked about but Doris and her partner have been together over 30 years. They are a cute older couple and it was nice to see an older lesbian couple in their 60's still together. We got the tour of the house, 2 cats, 2 alarm clocks.. You get the picture. If you knew NB's mom you would find this pretty funny because she's not really comfortable with the gay world. I realize it's a different generation but how do you not know your best friend is a lesbian?

Anyway, the poignant part of the night was when one of the older men there (gay, gay, gay) made a toast to those people who have passed away through the years. These people had been attendees at the onion party.

Sad, but bittersweet because he toasted them in remembrance and celebration. I have become so much more comfortable being around elderly people because of my Aunt. They do have something to teach us, I only wish they were more visible in the gay community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home